Wednesday, June 1, 2011

ABC's of Embroidery

A few months ago a great-aunt of mine was moving and found some old sewing books she thought I’d like. Though they’re all splendid, the best in my opinion is the obviously well-loved American Thread Company’s The ABC of Embroidery Stitches from 1951.

Despite the book’s age, I don’t think I’ve ever found a more clearly illustrated guide for the majority of common embroidery stitches. I’m fairly new to embroidery and this is an excellent starter’s guide. 


I also get great pleasure from reading the little inserts throughout the work. Beside the picture below it states “Use these charming, simple borders for anything from your children’s first layette to your very loveliest lingerie. They are fascinating to make and add that distinctive touch that can only be yours and yours alone with STAR Embroidery Thread!” 

  
I love everything about this book, especially the fact that originally it sold for the whopping price of 10 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment